Saturday, February 23, 2013

Rushing, Resting and Retiring

Pic from FB

Rushing through life is what we do automatically.  We wake up and immediately we get on the treadmill of life and we don't stop until we get to bed.  We do it unconsciously and think that this is real life.

I did that automatically for years.  Well, there were moments when I didn't feel the rush.  It would have been the days when I wasn't well and I was stuck at home, in bed and resting.  Isn't it amazing how our bodies can force us to take a break when we need it?

More than ever before, I am now grateful that I have learnt to slow down.  Before, I had the notion that if I slowed down, I would lose the momentum.  I was afraid that if I didn't keep on rushing, I'd reach the end of the day with unfinished tasks.  So this spurred me on when I was studying and then working.  Yet, I found that the more I did, the more there was to be done.

I realise that it is not a good thing to always be rushing around.  What did I hope to accomplish?  Was I expecting approval from those around me?

I guess it's easier for me to say all this now that I am retired but I really wish I had known earlier.

Many people want to have the best out of life and rush about hoping to get it.

The funny thing is that if you want to get the best out of life, you have to slow down.  Now I get it!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment