Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Day 2 Change of heart

Image from WWW
Just before falling asleep on the first day of 2018, my thoughts were swirling before sleep engulfed me.

Strangely, I thought back to when I was in Primary School and all I wanted was to be a flight stewardess.  Little did I know then that I would outgrow the spirit of adventure that made me fantasize about travelling.  

It was a short poem that got me started on that first dream, and these lines came back easily, even in my drowsy state of mind.  

I'd love to be an air-hostess aboard an aeroplane 
I'd love to visit Italy, or Portugal, or Spain
At dawn from London airport, our jet will roar away, 
and soon we would be touching down for lunch in USA

It goes on but I couldn't remember the rest of it.  I tried to google to get the full poem and also the name of the author but I wasn't successful.

By the time I reached secondary school, I had a change of heart and dropped all thoughts of flying.  Now I wanted to teach.  

Eventually, this became a reality for me and I have many good memories of this decade in my life.  Some of my students are now my friends.  

Just before drifting off, I realised that the places in my travel bucket list is getting smaller instead of bigger.  It really is a curious phenomenon that I had wanted to visit so many countries yet my personality is the opposite.  It has to do with a change of heart.

As I get older, I have less reason to leave the comforts of my home and less reason to explore beyond what is around me.  All I think about is to enjoy the places with the people I love, wherever we may be.  

Stephen still dreams of travelling and, yes, he'll drag me along. And I'll go with a heavy heart but he's always fun and he'll make every journey with him a memorable and exciting one.

And if anyone can make me have a change of heart, it'll be him.

Who knows?  Maybe I'll dream again of far-off places when that time comes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment