Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Carefree and car-free!


I saw this huge banner outside the NEX Mall recently. I guess it's to encourage people to take public transport. It caught my eye because it's catchy and does epitomise my life here in Singapore.

I suppose it only means much more to people who once drove daily. When I look back on how many hours I spent behind the wheel of a car, it boggles the mind. 

Since moving away from the hustle and bustle of KL living and into the concrete jungle of Singapore, I haven't really felt a sense of inconvenience without a car.  I thought I would and maybe I did have some fleeting moments of "I need a car" when I first arrived but now after nearly five years I don't even think about it.  I've adapted well.

Even when I am back in KL, I hardly ever drive now.  I do when I have to but usually my son or daughter-in-law takes the wheel. I used to not like being a passenger before.  I always wanted to be the driver.  But they are both excellent drivers and I've learnt to take the back seat.  I can place my trust in them.  I don't say this lightly because there are many horrible drivers around.  Also I pride myself on being a rather good one and when I let someone drive me around, it's not just for convenience but also because I have faith in their driving skills.

Sometime over the last few years I had developed a new sense of being carefree and car-free.  This has to do with getting used to moving around via trains, buses and/or taxis.  I've yet to use uber but I just registered.  :)

It's a good advertisement!  I like it.  It suits me.  It works for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment