Thursday, October 30, 2014

Being ignored...


Much of my thoughts are about old people since I gravitate towards them more than I do to young babies or children.  Maybe that will change when I become a grandmother, I don't know.  

I am always curious when people visit and equally curious when they don't visit their 'loved' ones in hospitals or nursing homes or wherever they may be.  

Often I think it has to do with a history of events that had transpired and which, to coin a phrase, has not yet expired in their minds. 

Today people rarely visit the elderly because it is no longer 'cool' to be seen doing that.

When I project myself into the future, I wonder how I would feel if I was left alone without visits.  Would I be sad or upset?  I don't think I would.  If I am able to read, I'd be reading books.  If I am unable to read, then I'd listen to music or watch TV.  I hope that I would still be able to use a laptop as there is a never-ending stream of things to do online.  

I'm drawn back to wondering why old people are ignored.  Is it because the family no longer find any benefit available?  Could it be because they cannot bear to see a loved one in poor health?

The reality is that old people need attention.  When I lost my aunt early this year, part of my grief stemmed from the fact that I could have and should have done more for her.


There is no turning back.  Sometimes, there is no second chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment