Friday, July 28, 2023

Reading through the lines

Image from www

 

I used to read a lot.  Since I was in primary school, it was a challenge to find the time for leisure reading because of school, homework and activities.

Even when I was working, I still read quite a bit.  Often, I would give up a bit of my night sleep just to finish a chapter.  

Now when I am retired and able to read at any time I want, I haven't.  I did when I first arrived, but circumstances were such that I couldn't concentrate.  Eventually, I stopped reading but didn't stop buying books, though.  

Despite buying whenever I saw some book that I wanted, I still went to the library to borrow books and very often, with a tail between my legs, returned some without having touched them.  Thankfully, there was a drop-off box where we could just deposit the books without having to face the librarian.  It would have been so embarrassing if she had asked, "how was the story?".

Just when I was free to just stay home and begin reading, Netflix arrived, and I got snatched into the world of TV series (10 seasons or limited) and movies.  Recently, we also subscribed to the Disney channel, and this opened up a new world of other documentaries and shows that we enjoy.  I'm not complaining as this kept me happy during the covid times.

Today, I am going to pick up a book and see if I can revive my love for reading.  I have some in my Tab but there is nothing that comes close to holding a book and leaving a bookmark between the pages.  I'll be wise and choose the right book.  Let's see if I can reduce my intending-to-read list by one book!


No comments:

Post a Comment