Friday, May 09, 2014

She meant well



When I was 13 or 14, one of my Muslim friends asked me if I had heard or watched the Tilawah Al Quran on TV the night before.  

I don't know why but I said I did when the reality was that the TV was on and I happened to just see or hear a portion of it.  It wasn't a case of me sitting down to watch all of it.

Instantly there was excitement in her expression.  She was so pleased for me and for herself.  

She shared a bit about the beauty of the recitation.  I listened, feigning interest.

I know she meant well.  She wanted to share something that was close to her heart.  She wanted me to know it, to understand it and perhaps to embrace it. 

What I remember is that she was concerned for me because of what she believed in and that, in itself, is such a beautiful thing.

When I read the news about all the fears of proselytizing, I wonder if anyone sees beyond it to the heart of the person. 

If I share what I believe in, it is because I care. Whether you choose to believe or not is all secondary. 

Only when you can speak freely about your faith without any government intervention, then you may say you have freedom of religion.



No comments:

Post a Comment