Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Seeing is believing





Yesterday we met up for coffee cum chat with our friend, Jerome who is almost 100% blind.  His vision is deteriorating but he manages his life in the best way that he can.  When we took this photo, Stephen said that I would surely write about it in my blog.  At that time, I didn't know if I would or not.

However, as we parted, some ideas formed in my head and the words Jerome said haunted me.  He said, "seeing is believing and this is me, who cannot see".

I wonder which is worse, to be born blind or to become blind later.  It's a question I pondered over.

Jerome was not born blind.  Over the last years, he had begun to lose his sight, little by little.  He can still manage to see vague shadows but mostly he lives a world with only blurred images.

I watched Jerome as he held his cellular phone to his ear to listen to the sounds that each key makes. With the No. 5 as the home key, Jerome is able to easily use his Nokia phone.  The sounds made by each key aids him to locate people he wants to call.  He's devised a simple system for his own convenience.  He is amazing.  

There is no "I give up" attitude in him.  He's a caregiver for his aged parents together with a live-in helper.  It's not an easy task but he has taken on the job.  Again, I say he is amazing.

How many of us would have his tenacity to face life and make the best out of it, if put in the same situation?  It's not a question many of us would want to have to face.  

This leads me to ask myself this question here

I can only hope that people would be as impressed with me as I am with Jerome Donaldson Vaz.

2 comments:

  1. I have often wondered what it would be like to lose my sight. Seeing Jerome, and his lovely smile, makes me think that if I put my head on right, I'll be able to take it on the chin - just like he has!

    Love post, Lita. Something for me to think about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think that if a push became a shove, I'd be able to live with it. There you go, two of us learning something together.

      xoxox

      Delete