Monday, December 31, 2012

End of year thoughts

Pic from FB

I received this in an email earlier and decided to re-read it.  Then I decided to share it since it's that time when people begin to look back and then ahead.  So I hope you will like it as much as I did.  I wish I knew who the author is to give him or her credit!

Hat tip to Pat for this one!



As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend... 

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60's &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love... I will. 

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old. 

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect. 

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. 

So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore...I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever.

But while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about 
what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it). 

10 comments:

  1. Well, for me "being old" is a state of mind.
    I will always be young at heart , because that is how I look at life. Sure, I feel "my age" at times, the joints ache and are stiff sometimes, but I don't let this become "who" I am.
    Years ago i worked with old people and one lady was in her 90's. I remember her telling me "Lyn, inside I am still 18...it's just my body that has let me down".
    That is how I feel, somedays it's "JUST" my body letting me down. ;-)
    Loved your post Lita, a valuable lesson for all <3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a case of "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak". But until our last breath, we're going to be rocking it! Right, Lyn?

      Delete
  2. "You care less about what other people think." Indeed this is something that I've begun appreciating... it has freed me from a lot of worries. Lovely post this... and maybe I should thank Pat too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Oldstock,

      You are right. There comes a time when it no longer matters what others think. Helps to make life smoother!

      Pat will know when she comes by! :D

      Delete
  3. Good post! We are linking to this great post on our website.
    Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new apple iphone!
    Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward
    to all your posts! Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all I want to say superb blog! I had a quick question that I'd
    like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to find out how you center
    yourself and clear your head before writing. I have had a difficult
    time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts
    out there. I do enjoy writing however it
    just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost
    just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post however I was wondering if you could write a litte more
    on this subject? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be
    aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while
    people consider worries that they plainly don't know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out
    the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment
    didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
    Anyways, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete